"Now the just shall live by faith;
But if anyone draws back,
My soul has no pleasure in him.”
–Hebrews 10:38 [NKJV]
Living by faith is a central and profound concept rooted in the teachings of Scripture. At its core, living by faith involves a deep trust and reliance on God's promises and a transformed way of life that flows from this trust.
1. Trusting in God's Promises: Living by faith starts with a fundamental trust in the promises of God. This trust extends to the foundational Christian belief that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8-9). Faith is the channel through which God's grace and promises flow into our lives. It's a complete dependence on God's faithfulness and reliability.
3. Obedient Response: True faith is not merely an intellectual assent to certain truths but results in a life of obedience. Abraham, often referred to as the father of faith, obeyed God's call to leave his homeland and go to an unknown destination (Hebrews 11:8). Living by faith involves obeying God's Word and following His leading in our lives, even when it seems counterintuitive or challenging.
4. Repentance and Transformation: Faith leads to repentance and transformation. When we trust in Christ, we turn away from our sin and self-centeredness, seeking to live in a manner that honors God. This transformation is a continual process as the Holy Spirit works in us to conform us to the image of Christ.
5. Perseverance in Trials: Living by faith means persevering through trials and difficulties, knowing that God is sovereign and works all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). Faith enables believers to endure suffering, knowing that God is with them and has a purpose in their trials.
6. Reliance on God's Word: Faith is deeply connected to the Word of God. Living by faith involves a commitment to studying and applying Scripture in our daily lives. God's Word provides the foundation for our faith, guiding us in how to live and make decisions.
7. Prayer and Dependence: Living by faith includes a life of prayer and dependence on God. We acknowledge our need for His guidance, provision, and strength. Prayer is not a mere ritual but a genuine conversation with our Heavenly Father.
8. Hope in Christ's Return: Faith looks forward to the return of Christ and the ultimate fulfillment of God's promises. Believers eagerly await the day when faith will be replaced by sight, and we will dwell with God forever.
9. Fruit of the Spirit: Living by faith is marked by the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). These qualities manifest as we trust in God and allow the Holy Spirit to work in us.
10. Witness to the World: Living by faith is a powerful testimony to the world. When believers exhibit a life transformed by faith, it becomes a compelling witness to the reality of God and the truth of the gospel.